Since arriving home, I've been lazy. Or at least I feel lazy. In an effort to get organized, I'm trying to get all my Japan blogging done in a flash-- thus explaining my recent rash of postings. Here is Tokyo, part 1 of 3:
700 Yen for this much donburi action
Although only a couple trees in Ueno Park were in bloom, that's all the excuse the Japanese need to party like it's spring
Ueno Park
A pair of magnificent trees
Aki and I, Meiji Jingu
Said trees (there were actually two pairs of trees, each pair in the corner of the courtyard), bound by shimenawa
Meiji Jingu
Takeshita Doori, Harajuku. We did not walk down, as this was one of the busiest Sundays of the year (spring break, plus Monday was a national holiday)
Hye Yeon, Aki and I eat crepes. I was bullied into it, I swear >.<
Omotesando Hills. Again, picture only-- I'm not a huge shopper, if you didn't already know :P
Grease-style dancers, Yoyogi Park
That famous Shibuya crossing!
Shibuya at dusk
Bye Aki! Thanks for the tour (though you can't see it, we're standing in front of Hachiko)
Curry monjayaki. Basically a soupy Okonomiyaki.
Asakusa, on the way to Sensoji Temple
...and the main temple was closed. Sad face :(
But the grounds were still beautiful. And artificially enhanced with synthetic-fabric sakura!
This one is free of cheating
Oh babbling brooks, how I do enjoy thy sound
A large sandal, hung up for when the giant buddha inside the temple decides to go out for a stroll
Latern
Hye Yeon was just rubbing his hands, but gee does it look like she's going for some breasticle...
Kanji readers delight!
Deep fried manjuu. From the left: Kurogoma (black sesame), kabocha (pumpkin), matcha (green tea). Piping hot and ridiculously good. I guess everything really is better when deep fried...
Hye Yeon digs in...
The filling matched the outside in color and they were all very accurate in terms of flavor. Crispy, chewy, yummy.
On the way to Akihabara from Asakusa. I've always wondered why Asahi is super "dry"-- what are the quotation marks there for? Are they being sarcastic? Like, "hey, this is sooooo 'dry.' Haha, gotcha stupid. It's not actually dry!" Or maybe, they think that "dry" is a stupid descriptor for alcohol? "Yes, we'll use their [the West's] term to describe our beer, but we shall do it in a patronizing manner." I mean, calling a liquid "dry" to describe a taste-- or even mouthfeel, at that-- is pretty confusing...
More nerdiness.
Games, computer hardware, and anime goods galore
It was worth going for the maids alone. They stood on the street handing out fliers. An odd caption for this picture, maybe, but I didn't have the balls to take a picture of or with the maids. Leave me alone!
To be continued from Akihabara in part 2 tomorrow(ish)!
No comments:
Post a Comment