Sunday, June 20, 2010

August 2009 Southern China Odyssey, Part 3: Longsheng and Guangzhou


Apologies for the extended period without posting. Seeing as how the readership took a vacation, I too, took one-- or rather, stayed unemployed. For those wondering about my readership numbers, I should just point out that much like FotC refers to Mel as "the fanbase," I refer to my father as "the readership."

So where was I? Oh yes, I had finished a week in beautiful Guilin and Yangshuo. With Japanese and Chinese friends in tow, I headed up to the city of Longsheng (Longshengtitian 龙胜梯田) to check out the beautiful terraced rice fields. These rice terraces climb pretty high, as I learned in a WSJ article about a comparable place. Anyways, while not anywhere near as pristine as the article's non-tourist spot, I was able to see some pretty beautiful sights, albeit in a spot where two villages had been tourist-icized to make staying atop a rice paddy mountain more palatable to the average Chinese Business Tour Group (CBTG). Overall, not the best part of the trip, and not recommended unless you've never seen rice paddies before (I suspect you could find less touristy places to see these types of vistas). 

Following that, I headed back to Guangzhou to meet up with Ben.

On to the pictures (I also highly recommend Ben's Guangzhou photos):

Chili Peppers drying
Panoramic shot
#2
I accessorized for this picture
The sunrise was just OK, since it was already pretty high by the time we started catching it's rays.
Check out that sky. But an average picture nonetheless.
Drying cat-- er, corn.
Panoramic shot # 1 gajillion and one
Pretty much every single one of those buildings is a tourist "hotel" / home. In a not-so-great kinda way. I will concede that they stuck with the traditional architecture, which is a big win in China.
Morning shadows
Shamian Island, Guangzhou. An old colonial part of town.
Big tree, a la Southern Asia.
It was a stormy night, but that didn't keep people from coming out to window shop (#1 weekend pastime in China)
Let's see if I can get this right. Mango ice cream on a bed of mango pudding, with a moat of mango juice and floating chunks of mango. Did I mention there was mango?
Good to see ya, buddy. You're kinda creeping me out, though...
You look hurt that I said that. I retract it.

That's all for now. I'm off to Quebec with Ben on Wednesday for ~2 weeks. Should have even more material to post upon my return!

No comments:

Post a Comment