I'll start out by saying that by looking over the past 1.5 years of photos, I've realized that the manner in which I document travels with my camera has changed vastly in this time period. This is largely attributable to my digital camera in Japan, which was smaller, lighter, and exceptionally fast at taking pictures-- this directly influenced how often I was willing to take pictures. I have lively memories of China, but my pictures document far fewer of the experiences that I went through, for better or for worse (probably the latter, huh?).
This technology pushed me to document more of my friends in photographs, something I had largely not done before. It's a shame, too, because one of the most potent factors in creating a magical study abroad experience is the knowledge that it's a transient time-- a sort of temporal reminder that you'll never see a lot of these people again.
On to practical matters (don't want this post to morph into a TLDR-beast... I'll leave that for some other time, in a post without pictures, perhaps). I due to the circumstances mentioned above, I'm going to only document my southern China trip, at least for now. My other pictures are lacking, in a few ways. I recommend checking out Facebook for pictures of me in China last year.
Without further ado, Hong Kong and Macau, August 2009:
Epic. View from Tsim Tsa Tsui
Less epic (no me), but still epic. View from HK Island's Bank of China building.
A Tang dynasty camel sculpture. From the Hong Kong Museum of Art, if I remember correctly.
Skyline at night from the Peak.
Skyline at night from the harbor. They're reclaiming land, as is very evident.
We couldn't go to Hong Kong without tasting some dim sum. 蝦餃
腸粉
燒賣. These are so different from the ones up north, which, instead of being 90% meat as the ones pictured are, are instead mostly sticky rice wrapped in a dumpling skin.
Water chestnut cake, if I remember correctly. 馬蹄糕
Macau! Ugly casino.
My hotel on the right, Hotel Kou Va, on the Rua da Felicidade.
Macau trades Hong Kong's sense of energy for a relaxed, European feel, most likely from the Portuguese influence I imagine.
Possibly my favorite photo. Delicious 鳳梨酥.I should have bought some to bring back to the hotel!
Rua da Felicidade at night. Lined by beautiful red doors and shutters, I think a scene from Indiana Jones was filmed here. It wasn't a terribly annoying place to stay, despite being in a tourist center.
Fish drying out.
Bagged, and for sale.
Cool tree.
Epic tree.
I ate a famous Lord Stow's bakery egg tart here. Then I had another nearly 5 months later in, of all places, Osaka!
This type of incense was only to be found in HK and Macau, from what I could tell.
I forget which church this is, unfortunately.
I forget this one too.
Near Penha Hill, I believe. Soon afterwards I was off for re-entry into China!
Next time, pictures from my time in Guilin and more!
No comments:
Post a Comment