Much like my late trip to Okazaki Castle-- essentially, all my classmates had already gone-- my trip to Nagoya was rather late as well. Maybe I'm just easily amused / occupy my time well. Leaving that aside, last Saturday I went to Nagoya with some friends. We visited the Nagoya Castle, ate lunch at a famous Tonkatsu chain, and I checked out Ōsu Kannon (大須観音) and the surrounding pedestrian street selling mostly clothing, but also some food, video games, and groceries. Pics:
A perfect picture in front of a perfect replica of Nagoya castle. Perfect.
Nagoya Castle in the background. I saw the crane and went, awww.
Then I got to the castle and was like, YAY! Easily amused indeed. It's been rebulit, by the way. Here's an amazing picture of it burning down in WW2.
These guys were strutting around talking like video game characters / yakuza and making all the girls swoon. I was like, c'mon, they didn't have hair gel back in the day!
Turd helmet on the bottom left. Sucks for that guy. I wonder if the blacksmith started out like, "this is going to be the best spiral helmet EVER". Then he finishes and thinks, "man, I am SO dead".
Shananagins atop the Kinshachi (金鯱), a golden dolphin that is the symbol of Nagoya. This one, atop the castle, was remade along with the castle. They're really big and heavy and golden. The video assured us that the castle and dolphins had been rebuilt to be at least as nice as the old ones (I laughed aloud). So this is where China gets it from... that said, I do favor renovation to nothing at all. Anyways, back to Kinshachi, I'm not sure how I feel about Golden Dolphins as my city mascot. But perhaps they are better than Eco-Commanders... (more next time *wink*)
Miso Katsu from Yabaton (famous shop), before. The fresh katsudon has a nice crispy texture, though it would get soggy if eaten too slowly. The sauce wasn't savory enough for me; on the contrary, it was actually quite sweet. I was expecting rich, savory depth of flavor like the local dark miso soups. That said, katsudon is always good, and this sauce was a tasty enhancement.
Miso Katsu from Yabaton (famous shop), after
Ōsu Kannon
Those are fortunes tied to the giant lamp. Bad, for purging, or good, for wishing, not sure.I'll get one someday.
I was able to catch the multitudes of pigeons gathered around the temple (you can get bird feed and feed 'em) in flight after something disturbed them. Thanks for the fast camera, Mom.
More pigeons
After the storm.
Hello kitty protection charms, from the area around the temple, not inside it.
A nice building near the temple.
That's all. Next post will cover last Sunday in Okazaki, with autumn and jazz festival pictures, as well as my pictures from several temples while meandering about the city.
No comments:
Post a Comment